Unity Package Types
How do I download the Spatial Creator Toolkit?
The Spatial Creator Toolkit is an SDK that lives right inside of Unity, so you can use one of the world’s most popular game engines and not have to learn another new tool! All you need is Unity, a Spatial account, and the Starter Template! Follow the steps in the Getting Started Guide, which walks you through everything you need to know!
Can I earn money with the Spatial Creator Toolkit?
How do I transfer a Toolkit package template to someone else?
- Have the person you want to transfer the template to Create a Space using any free Spatial template.
- Enter that space, and have them either:
- Make you a Host, or
- Temporarily set the Share permissions to “Anyone with the Link…..Can Edit”
- Go into Environment Settings > Change Environment > Packages > Choose your Toolkit Package template.
I’ve built an environment using the Toolkit, and would like to publish it so that others can visit the space. How can I do that?
Can I embed a space in my own website?
Yes! On your web page, add an iframe and set its source to your space’s URL. Replace the
/s/ in the URL with
Lighting and Rendering
My object isn’t receiving lightmapped shadows. How do I fix this?
Here’s all the individual settings you need to get an object to be lightmap-able:
- You’ll need to mark the object as Static:
- The mesh of the object will need a second set of UVs. In the model import setting, you can let Unity generate these UVs for you. “Manual” margin method is usually more space efficient.
- The light that is casting baked shadows needs to either be set to “Mixed” or “Baked” mode
Once you have all of these settings, re-bake your lightmaps.
My environment has no ambient color and the scene looks dark.
- About This could happen when you publish your space without LightingData. (This doesn’t happen in sandbox.)
Generate Lighting’ button in Lighting setting.
- Detail 1. Window - Rendering - Lighting to open Lighting window. 2. Go to Backed Lightmaps tab. 3. Press ‘Generate Lighting’ button and you’ll see LightingData is generated and assigned to the scene.
Skybox(panoramic) has a seamline.
Disable ‘Generate Mip Maps’ on your texture setting. This happens if your skybox(panoramic) texture has mipmaps.
Terrain isn’t rendered with normal maps on web and sandbox.
- Problem Terrain has normal maps but Spatial doesn’t render it on web and sandbox.
- Do not use MaskMap in your Terrain Layers.
- Use 4 or less Terrain Layers.
- WebGL has limited sampler state (16) and some variants of terrain shader use more than it. In this case, Unity fails to compile the variant and uses one of fallbacks.
- This compile fail doesn’t always happen. Some combinations between other graphics features like additional lights or lightmap modes generate different variants of terrain shader and some of it use more than 16 sampler state and fails to compile on web build.
- So as a generic solution, you can leave the MaskMap slot empty, or you’ll need to test whether the terrain appears okay in your scene.
- Also you should use 4 or less Terrain Layers to your Terrain for the same reason. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TerrainLayer.html#Performance
(Thanks to Shawn Young for reporting this bug and providing screen capture images.)
Lightmap results are unsatisfactory.
- Select the lightmap texture and go to WebGL settings in the inspector.
- Choose the
RGBA Compressed DXT5|BC3format under the Format option.
- Click Apply to apply the changes.
- ⚠️ Keep in mind that
Crunched DXThas a significantly smaller size (15%) compared to
Compressed DXT. In some cases, prioritizing smooth performance may be preferable over preserving every detail.
- 🚫 Avoid using ASTC on WebGL as it is intended for mobile browsers. Unity will convert the textures again during runtime, leading to significant loading times. (Using ASTC is highly recommended for mobile platforms such as Android and iOS.)
Terrain appears Shiny.
- Go to the platform settings and choose a texture format that does not include an alpha channel (RGB, not RGBA). Note that the AssetImportSettings will automatically detect the presence of alpha and choose the appropriate format accordingly.
- Details: If a texture does not have alpha but is using a format that includes alpha, it will always appear white. And Unity Terrain layer will utilize it for smoothness, resulting in a glossy appearance. (Unity won’t use alpha if the format doesn’t include alpha)
- Details: ASTC is the recommended format for mobile devices. However, as ASTC contains alpha, it can still result in the same issue. As an alternative, you can choose DXT1. Please note that selecting DXT1 will lead to a larger file size compared to ASTC. If you have experience with texture processing, you can manually add a smoothness value to the alpha channel of the texture. Alternatively, you can utilize this utility to help you achieve the desired outcome.
The appearance of particles has changed.
- Reach out to Spatial support (firstname.lastname@example.org) to report the issue.
- Try adjusting the texture settings by using formats with alpha (DXT5) or without alpha (DXT1) to see if it resolves the issue.
- If the problem persists, Spatial support will provide further assistance to resolve these unintended changes.
Scripts that read textures or meshes no longer function properly.
- Select the texture or model in the project and enable the Read/Write option.
- ⚠️ Note that enabling Read/Write will result in a doubling of the memory size.
- How do I download the Spatial Creator Toolkit?
- Can I earn money with the Spatial Creator Toolkit?
- How do I transfer a Toolkit package template to someone else?
- I’ve built an environment using the Toolkit, and would like to publish it so that others can visit the space. How can I do that?
- Can I embed a space in my own website?
- Lighting and Rendering
- My object isn’t receiving lightmapped shadows. How do I fix this?
- My environment has no ambient color and the scene looks dark.
- Skybox(panoramic) has a seamline.
- Terrain isn’t rendered with normal maps on web and sandbox.
- Lightmap results are unsatisfactory.
- Terrain appears Shiny.
- The appearance of particles has changed.
- Scripts that read textures or meshes no longer function properly.